RichmondDubs.com Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Big Yellow Brick (82 GMC Shortbed)
onetribe
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-15-12 at 09:28 PM
Big Yellow Brick (82 GMC Shortbed)

I narrowed my truck search down to the old square body Chevy/GMC trucks because I like the aesthetic, parts are everywhere and there's a zillion motors that will fit in them. I stalked Craigslist and Ebay for a few weeks looking for stuff near us, narrowed it down late last week and went and saw several in VA Beach and RVA before choosing this '82 Sierra 1500 Shortbed.

Along with the truck came an amazing folder of receipts from 2008 back through 1990, along with all of the manuals for the new parts and the original window sticker. Turns out it was beefed up at the factory with "HD" springs, suspension and brakes and was purchased new as a utility truck for an electricity co-op in Culpeper in the early 80's. Sold to the second owner after just a few years on the job (66k), third owner had it for two years, I'm the fourth with 122k on the dial. The interior is barebones - no headliner (looks like it came that way from the factory), and only rubber mats instead of carpet, which is great when I'm covered in mud.

It's had a motor rebuild and some modifications:

305 V8
Ported & Polished
Complete valve job
Erson cam
Eidelbrock 600cfm 4barrel
Eidelbrock cam gears
All new pumps (water, oil, fuel), alternator - pretty much everything attached to the motor.
Hooker comp headers
Custom exhaust
Posi rear and it came with both a 275 (installed) and a 355 (gas killer?)

It's loud, it looks like a huge yellow brick, and it's pretty damn fun to drive. I was actually looking for a long bed but when I saw this and realized it had heavy duty suspension and springs, I figured it would still hold quite a bit of soil & plenty of tools or be fine towing a small trailer. I started out looking for something purely for utilitarian purposes and then realized that if I'm going to be buying something that I'll spend time in and work on, it might as well be a sweet ride too.

Anyone else had one of these or know shit about 'em?

yellowbrick.jpg - 168kB

Ol Grey Fox

Favorite Color: Donal

[*] posted on 4-15-12 at 09:39 PM

Yeah, my dad got one of these from the forestry department back in the 90s. Beast of a truck, ours was Big Red.

A shame it's the 305 instead of one of the 4 inch bore blocks. The 3.55 rear gives you extra torque to the wheels for pulling around the farm, but it would rev higher on the highway and probably end up using more gas at cruise, gearing choice just depends on if it needs improvement on the farm or on the road.

Is it a TH350 trans or 'three on the tree'?

Intelligence is a constant. The population is growing.
Earth is 98% full. Please delete anyone you can.
If you can't take it easy, take it as easy as you can.
Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell
Go ahead, be indecisive. I dare you.
Ghost Bimmer

Favorite Color: Whatever color the car I'm driving is

[*] posted on 4-15-12 at 09:42 PM

Sweet truck mang! :thumbsup:

'92 Volvo 745 turbo- the battleship
'04 Honda 599- go naked!
onetribe
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-15-12 at 09:48 PM

Donal: Yeah, I was a little bummed about the 305 as opposed to a 350 or higher, but figured since it was mildly worked it would still be fun and better on gas. The short list only had one 350 on it and when I saw it in VB it was obvious that it was his half finished lowrider project. Motor had been rebuilt and was -awesome- but it had fender damage and had been lowered too much for my taste. I wanted a 350 but didn't want someone else's problem. The upside is that the engine bays are all the same, for the most part, and bigger motors can be found and rebuilt for fairly cheap.

It's an auto trans. I found an absolutely gorgeous blue '79 in VB with a "three on the tree," but it was seriously too pretty and I was not fond of the idea of the other directors of the non-profit, garden volunteers or my wife trying to drive it, even if just around our garden sites.

Ol Grey Fox

[*] posted on 4-15-12 at 10:04 PM

You're better off this way on the transmission. The TH is a solid piece of work and the linkages on the manuals tended to jam up when the bushings got worn.

The differences between the 305 and 350 are all internal, your go-faster parts should all swap right over to another block if you decide to go that route. That motor would be good enough in a 3rd generation camaro, but trucks are more into work and you get that from a broader bore. As you've mentioned already though, SBCs are cheap, plentiful, tough and easy to work on.

2000GLXStick
Posting Freak

Favorite Color: Geoff

[*] posted on 4-16-12 at 08:01 AM

I too want an old cheby
Congrats Jared

2000 B5 Passat GLX 5-spd (MMB5GLX5M) TT Big Brake conversion, Zimmerman cross-drilled F&R, Mintex Redbox pads, BBS VZ wheels, Bilstein Sport dampers, H&R Sport Springs, STLB5 custom Alpine Sub, Tint, Audi Jackpads, NB sunglass holder, Funk button, Euroswitch, Jacket hanger, W8 bellypan, Panasonic CD changer, OEM In-dash CD, Silverstars
199? Toyota MR2 - full Turbo conversion, OEM LSD, Tokico dampers, Eibach springs, TRD sways, High&Tight links, Strut brace, Short Shifter, Turbo brakes, Turbo wheels, Speedsource shift bushings, Spec clutch and flywheel, Berk catback, Omori boost guage, Alpine MP3, custom subs, tint
1964 Beetle, freshly built 1200, 12volt, tall 3rd gear, Gauge package, dual-circuit brakes, EMPI wheels, late swingaxle oil control.
'02 F250 Super Duty 8' bed std cab 4x4 V10 w/ remote start, Delta box, 4.30 LSD, 265 tires, Warn 9000# winch, rain shields, stainless nerfs wheel to wheel, diamond plate bed rails, brake controller, weathertech mats
Former: 1970 Beetle, 58,254 miles 4th owner w. original title

Make Coke pay for inhumane profiteering! www.KillerCoke.org
87veedubcabby
Posting Freak

Favorite Color: Poop.

[*] posted on 4-16-12 at 05:24 PM

Ive had a bunch, all 4x4 tho.

1984 GTI 16v Daily
1988 Chevy Tow rig
1981 Rabbit Racecar

"They were built to be used, if not slightly abused."

vwworld.forumup.org is the place to be.
vwuberalles
All I really wanna do is talk about scooters and prove people wrong

Favorite Color: L61B

[*] posted on 4-16-12 at 07:26 PM

Nice! we can start a yellow truck crew!

(>'-')> <('-'<) ^('-')^ v('-')v <('-'<) ^( )^ (>'-')> ^(^-^)
░░░▄▀▌░▄▀▌░░░░░░░░░░░ 617; ░▄██▀▀▀█▀▀▀▄╔╦╗╔╗╔╗╗╗ 559; ▐███░▐░█░▐░█║║║╠╝║║║║ 553; ███████╥████╝╝╝╚╝╚╝╩╩ 565; █████╚═╩═╝██░░░░░░░░░ 617;

dci.se
Quote:
Originally posted by YourMom Don't mind Tim too much, he's oldschool and likes to keep respect and good judgment in the forums. Though I'm sure if he figures out were you live he'll deform your face with a Vespa.

onetribe
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-17-12 at 09:00 AM

I loved my BMW (sold it to my in-laws, so I can still drive it) but I am thrilled to have something I can easily work on myself.

What's the go-to repair and wiring manual for these trucks?
Ol Grey Fox

[*] posted on 4-17-12 at 09:17 AM

I'd go with the Chiltons, unless you can find an old Motors from the era.

2000GLXStick
Posting Freak

Favorite Color: Geoff

[*] posted on 4-17-12 at 10:59 AM

I prefer Factory Service Manuals augmented by Chiltons/Haynes because they're usually quicker to find the basics and the photographs often add tons of valuable insight.

My experience with factory service manuals is limited to VW, Jag, Toyota, & Honda, so no insight into "the General".

2000 B5 Passat GLX 5-spd (MMB5GLX5M) TT Big Brake conversion, Zimmerman cross-drilled F&R, Mintex Redbox pads, BBS VZ wheels, Bilstein Sport dampers, H&R Sport Springs, STLB5 custom Alpine Sub, Tint, Audi Jackpads, NB sunglass holder, Funk button, Euroswitch, Jacket hanger, W8 bellypan, Panasonic CD changer, OEM In-dash CD, Silverstars
199? Toyota MR2 - full Turbo conversion, OEM LSD, Tokico dampers, Eibach springs, TRD sways, High&Tight links, Strut brace, Short Shifter, Turbo brakes, Turbo wheels, Speedsource shift bushings, Spec clutch and flywheel, Berk catback, Omori boost guage, Alpine MP3, custom subs, tint
1964 Beetle, freshly built 1200, 12volt, tall 3rd gear, Gauge package, dual-circuit brakes, EMPI wheels, late swingaxle oil control.
'02 F250 Super Duty 8' bed std cab 4x4 V10 w/ remote start, Delta box, 4.30 LSD, 265 tires, Warn 9000# winch, rain shields, stainless nerfs wheel to wheel, diamond plate bed rails, brake controller, weathertech mats
Former: 1970 Beetle, 58,254 miles 4th owner w. original title

Make Coke pay for inhumane profiteering! www.KillerCoke.org
vwuberalles

[*] posted on 4-17-12 at 03:31 PM

Check the Library, they had one for my old dodge at Dumbarton branch!

Also, Y U NO drive it to work today? I walked my morning dog on the floodwall just so I could check it out!

░░░▄▀▌░▄▀▌░░░░░░░░░░░ 617; ░▄██▀▀▀█▀▀▀▄╔╦╗╔╗╔╗╗╗ 559; ▐███░▐░█░▐░█║║║╠╝║║║║ 553; ███████╥████╝╝╝╚╝╚╝╩╩ 565; █████╚═╩═╝██░░░░░░░░░ 617;

dci.se
Quote:
Originally posted by YourMom Don't mind Tim too much, he's oldschool and likes to keep respect and good judgment in the forums. Though I'm sure if he figures out were you live he'll deform your face with a Vespa.

onetribe
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-17-12 at 07:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vwuberalles  
Check the Library, they had one for my old dodge at Dumbarton branch!

Also, Y U NO drive it to work today? I walked my morning dog on the floodwall just so I could check it out!

Found the manual I need on Amazon for $4. woOt.

I did! It was behind the building in the back lot. There was no parking on the street or in the Scoot lot when I got there this morning.
vwuberalles

[*] posted on 4-17-12 at 09:39 PM

aww, damn! I didn't go out that way :unsure :

dci.se
Quote:

vwuberalles

[*] posted on 4-18-12 at 12:19 PM

Checked it out this morning, the banana brick looks great! It's scruffy enough that you won't feel bad using it as an actual truck, but it's still pretty nice looking! If you don't want those wheels you need to give them to Robert, they'd be perfect on my old Boogie Van!

dci.se
Quote:

onetribe
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-18-12 at 12:47 PM

I plan to fix all of the surface rust, replace a door corner and a cab corner and respray it the same color.

I was thinking about the wheels actually, I was considering getting something that just looked like black steelies and getting some tires with a little more aggressive tread on 'em and leaving it at that. Ride height is already perfect - I can roll underneath it and work on it just fine as it is.

I'll certainly consider letting these wheels go if I replace 'em.
vwuberalles

[*] posted on 4-18-12 at 12:55 PM

You're gonna make it look like your old white Golf with the steelies! :thumbsup:

dci.se
Quote:

onetribe
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-18-12 at 01:11 PM

Instead of a panda, it'll be a hornet :)
Ol Grey Fox

[*] posted on 4-18-12 at 03:06 PM

When it comes to rubber, I'm liking the Khumo SATs that I got on the Jeep. Plenty of traction everywhere it goes and decent enough on the highway for daily driving.

Black steelies would be hot on that truck.

vwuberalles

[*] posted on 4-18-12 at 04:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by onetribe  
Instead of a panda, it'll be a hornet :)

Too bad it's a GM and not a Mopar, you could go with the Superbee look

dci.se
Quote:

87veedubcabby
Posting Freak

Favorite Color: Poop.

[*] posted on 4-18-12 at 05:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by onetribe  
I plan to fix all of the surface rust, replace a door corner and a cab corner and respray it the same color.

I was thinking about the wheels actually, I was considering getting something that just looked like black steelies and getting some tires with a little more aggressive tread on 'em and leaving it at that. Ride height is already perfect - I can roll underneath it and work on it just fine as it is.

I'll certainly consider letting these wheels go if I replace 'em.

If you want steelies just find a set of the Chevy rally wheels.

1984 GTI 16v Daily
1988 Chevy Tow rig
1981 Rabbit Racecar

"They were built to be used, if not slightly abused."

vwworld.forumup.org is the place to be.

Go To Top